“YET DO REMEMBER"

 


“If ever in remembrance
Tears do not well up in your eyes
Yet do remember.”
(Translated by Rumela Sengupta)

Whenever I listen to Tagore’s song 'Tobu mone rekho,' all the strings of my heart break. I can't listen to this song, but I can't not listen to it either. Sometimes I feel that the thought of anybody forgetting me is more painful than my death.

I know that I haven't forgotten the Robin that made a nest in the Star Magnolia tree last year. Anybody that breathes cannot be forgotten. But anything that doesn't breathe - like the moon, like the river, like the soil - can they be forgotten?
Even if I did not make any impression on his soul, even if tears do not start flowing down his eyes thinking about me - still let him remember. Let him remember all the pain, remember all the love. As human life is the story of eternal elixir.

I do not want to forget any stories. So, I bought a ring made of forget-me-not flowers the other day. It is made of real pressed flowers. They are light blue, with a little yellow in the middle.

I remember reading about the birth of forget-me-not flowers somewhere. God had finished giving color to all the flowers. He was stowing away his paintbrushes. In a very faint voice, a small flower then asked God, 'Oh God, where is my color? Forget me not.' God had no other color except a very light blue. Forget-me-not was very happy to be given that little bit of color.

May humans be content after their last war.



Comments



Kalyani Rama is a Bangladesh-born Bilingual author. She has seven published books in Bengali. Kalyani has written for the newspaper 'The Wisconsin State Journal', and other literary magazines.

Kalyani has received her Bachelor of Technology degree from IIT, Kharagpur, India in Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering.

She is an Application Development Senior Engineer by profession and works in Madison, Wisconsin, USA.

Kalyani loves listening to people, animals, and trees.

Published Books:

‘Amar Ghoroya Golpo’(আমার ঘরোয়া গল্প) ;

‘Hater Patay Golpogulo’(হাতের পাতায় গল্পগুলোইয়াসুনারি কাওয়াবাতা);

‘Rat Brishti Bunohash’ (রাত বৃষ্টি বুনোহাঁসঅ্যান সেক্সটন, সিলভিয়া প্লাথ, মেরি অলিভারের কবিতা);

‘Moron Hote Jagi’ (মরণ তে জাগিহেনরিক ইবসেনের নাটক);

‘Reshom Guti’(রেশমগুটি);

'Jol Rong’(জলরঙ);

‘Dom Bondho’ (দমবন্ধ)

Website: http://www.kalyanirama.com/


Popular Posts