MY OLD HOUSE

Painted by: Kalyani Rama
Memory dances down a spiral...
Bird feeders are hanging all around me. Wooden nest boxes are up on the fence. I see blue jays, red cardinals, goldfinches, black-spotted downy woodpeckers, and rose-breasted grosbeaks in the garden. I listen to pensive mourning doves singing in the lonely, still afternoon. I look at the ever-active, black-capped, cheery chickadees. I spot Thoreau's bluebird flying with the sky on her back and the sunset orange on her breast.
Tree swallows are nesting in my garden.
I planted that cinnamon-bark river-birch tree...This house also has a night full of stars like that distant Wisconsin farmhouse...
My walls are decorated with Bangladeshi tapestries. Recently, I have learned to make those milk-white coconut sweets too.
"Come to my house
Oh, my honeybee,
I have stitched a quilt for you,
And kept aside the rice.
I will give you 'shali' flat rice,
I will give you 'binni' puffed rice,
I have bananas from my garden.
And homemade yogurt,
made only for you.'
---
I am giving away my house keys to the next owner. And I am thinking how my Othoi and Nitui used to love those pumpkin-flower fritters from my orange-color garden.


Comments



Kalyani Rama is a Bangladesh-born Bilingual author. She has seven published books in Bengali. Kalyani has written for the newspaper 'The Wisconsin State Journal', and other literary magazines.

Kalyani has received her Bachelor of Technology degree from IIT, Kharagpur, India in Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering.

She is an Application Development Senior Engineer by profession and works in Madison, Wisconsin, USA.

Kalyani loves listening to people, animals, and trees.

Published Books:

‘Amar Ghoroya Golpo’(আমার ঘরোয়া গল্প) ;

‘Hater Patay Golpogulo’(হাতের পাতায় গল্পগুলোইয়াসুনারি কাওয়াবাতা);

‘Rat Brishti Bunohash’ (রাত বৃষ্টি বুনোহাঁসঅ্যান সেক্সটন, সিলভিয়া প্লাথ, মেরি অলিভারের কবিতা);

‘Moron Hote Jagi’ (মরণ তে জাগিহেনরিক ইবসেনের নাটক);

‘Reshom Guti’(রেশমগুটি);

'Jol Rong’(জলরঙ);

‘Dom Bondho’ (দমবন্ধ)

Website: http://www.kalyanirama.com/


Popular Posts