My ocarina

I surround myself with beautiful things- for saving me. All the flat surfaces around me are filled with geodes: I can peek through and see the crystals. I have covered the surfaces with dancing girl orchids, with peacock feathers, a pressed rose from my favorite book – the pages are torn and yellow from time. I have covered the bookshelves and tables with soft little girl and boy toys. You make your own color for those felt toys: pink from strawberries, raspberries; orange from carrots, paprika, sweet potatoes; yellow from saffron, turmeric; green from ‘matcha’, spinach; red from beets, tomatoes; purple from blueberries, purple-sweet potatoes; blue from red cabbage plus baking soda; brown from coffee, tea, cocoa; black from activated charcoal. The kitchen is otherwise a scary place – there are knives in the knife block; there are complaints about the unwashed dishes and dirty kitchen towels; there is the staring of the uncooked meat; and the expectations.
A small thumb piano, a conch, a sand-dollar, shells, Aztec and Inca vessel-flutes cover my flat surfaces. They told me to play a long note with all the holes covered. I should then tilt my fingertips up until I have risen to the top note; it is time to slide down now. People comfort me: I can make bird songs. It is not easy. Humans cannot make bird songs.
When I slide down, I see this woman. She came to my house. Frustrated and flustered, she told me, “I like utilitarian rooms!” She has one calendar hanging from the middle of her sixteen-foot wall. I get it - one needs dates and months.
I wish I could stay in the backroom all day long. But people like sunshine and they go on and about in the sea beaches with their beach-balls – those beach-balls look like the eyes of the men who divorced their wives just on a Christmas morning, amongst all the wrapping papers. I am scared of the wasted time! I am scared of the years spent together in the grocery shops! I do not like the Avocado green – their wasted nights.
If only I could play my ocarina!


Comments



Kalyani Rama is a Bangladesh-born Bilingual author. She has seven published books in Bengali. Kalyani has written for the newspaper 'The Wisconsin State Journal', and other literary magazines.

Kalyani has received her Bachelor of Technology degree from IIT, Kharagpur, India in Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering.

She is an Application Development Senior Engineer by profession and works in Madison, Wisconsin, USA.

Kalyani loves listening to people, animals, and trees.

Published Books:

‘Amar Ghoroya Golpo’(আমার ঘরোয়া গল্প) ;

‘Hater Patay Golpogulo’(হাতের পাতায় গল্পগুলোইয়াসুনারি কাওয়াবাতা);

‘Rat Brishti Bunohash’ (রাত বৃষ্টি বুনোহাঁসঅ্যান সেক্সটন, সিলভিয়া প্লাথ, মেরি অলিভারের কবিতা);

‘Moron Hote Jagi’ (মরণ তে জাগিহেনরিক ইবসেনের নাটক);

‘Reshom Guti’(রেশমগুটি);

'Jol Rong’(জলরঙ);

‘Dom Bondho’ (দমবন্ধ)

Website: http://www.kalyanirama.com/


Popular Posts